Monday 17 May 2010

google privacy

i dont know if you've been following the google maps privacy issues but heres a link to the bbc news site about the latest revelation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8684110.stm

in short, it seems google has been accidentally gathering packet samples from open wi-fi networks as they drove around taking pictures for street view and that several people are now up in arms about the potential security and privacy issues

firstly if you have an open wi-fi network i consider you to be a complete moron

secondly now that google have been kind enough to illustrate the potential flaws in having open networks people should be acting to close them not start complaining to google

i know that i would rather it was google who was scanning my network than some unscrupulous people

like bt

1 comment:

  1. There are three wireless networks I can view from my room. One for here and two neighbours'. Out of curiosity I had a check to see if I could connect to them. I was able to get into both the others within three password attempts.

    ReplyDelete